Sunday, August 30, 2009

Overwhelmed.

In a few days, I'll be leaving for a trip to see my mom across the country. I will be taking my 18-month-old son with me, alone, on the airplane. I am understandably nervous about that. I am also worried that I'll forget to do something I need to do to prepare for the trip. My son needs a haircut, my dog needs grooming, I need to set up a dog-walker so she can get potty breaks while my husband is at work, and my son has a checkup at the doctor tomorrow. Not to mention I wanted to return a long-meant-to-return library book and parking pass to my former educational institution. I guess we'll see if I can get it all done. 

Related to this, as well as in response to an encouraging comment to an earlier blog post this week, I think I'll share my poem based on the scatterbrainedness I've been exhibiting of late. This is a rough draft. I think I might pare it down and make it more of a list-y affair without the meter and/or rhyme sometime, but for right now, here's what I have.

Come on now, where is my brain?

Did I leave it in the car?

Is it dripping with the rain,

or in the mail to Zanzibar?


I try to think, where is my brain?

Is it somewhere in my room?

Did I leave it on the train,

or is it buried in Khartoum?


It’s not funny. Where is my brain?

Is it still inside my head?

Has it fallen down the drain,

or is it underneath my bed?


Seriously, where is my brain?

Is it in a viper pit?

Perhaps it’s in the Spanish main?

I’m pleading now, have you seen it?


Haiku News 

Here's the kicker, folks:
kidnap victim also worked
for her kidnapper.

Chinese-born teen finds
birth family, reunites;
memory's faded.

8 killed in Georgia
in a mobile home; police
have no suspects yet.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Ah, yes - your brain is safely inside your cranium, just working overtime, and thus dropping things once in a while. Whatever you forget we can get here, so don't worry about that! I'm SO excited!

XOXOXOXOXXO

Anonymous said...

You know, I may have seen your brain!
Or one just like it has been seen,
Co-starring as one in a train
Of zombie victims' on the screen.
_____

(Which is what comes of reading The Zombie Survival Guide, lent to me by a friend. I have interesting friends.)

Minerva said...

Ha, I should have known, it was a zombie snack!!