Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ahem.

The above title was not intended as an attention-getting throat clearing, just a functional one. Mercifully my sore throat has retreated to just being scratchy again, so hopefully with a bit more rest it will go away again.

Cicely and Alicia have added more to our little hodgepodge collection of poetry, you can check out their efforts here

Okay, so I do have a pseudo-announcement. I have been toying with the idea of presenting a weekly poem with my analysis of it, and inviting comments from you about what you see in the poem. If I did this, it would be another low-stakes, safe forum to throw out whatever you think of the poem. There are no wrong answers, although I'm interested in knowing why people see certain things in poetry (as in, what specific line/word/etc. gave you the idea that the speaker was angry with his mother?). I think it might be fun to have an analytical discussion thread going along with our writing. After all, the best way to improve your poetry is to read others' poetry. What do you all think? I'm not going to do it if you don't think it's interesting. Please comment on this post with your two cents.

Haiku News

New York, Chicago
among the top six worst hubs
for long flight delays.

Soccer mom who brought
gun to her kid's game found shot
dead with her husband.

Bad idea, Aussies:
group performs Jackson Five song
in blackface, whiteface.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Ok, so here is how I understand it... We would chose one poem each week to say how we feel about it or what we think it's about? And would it be a 'peer written' poem? Just trying to make sure I'm on the same page as you :)

Minerva said...

Alicia--actually, the way I was thinking about it was for me to choose a poem to look at, say what I thought about it, and encourage you all to comment on what you think/ what you find in that poem as well. I was thinking to start with published, known poets' work rather than our own, since they have sold copies of their work and we can presumably learn from them. Does that make sense?

Alicia said...

Ok, that makes total sense! I'm up for it. I think it could be fun.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in at least giving it a test drive, since it isn't our own/each others' poems we'd be dissecting. That would make me uncomfortable, both in that I would hesitate to offer up my not-good-enough-for-prime-time efforts, and in that ripping up someone else's work, virtually right there to their face, would not be very pleasant, to me.
-----

Haiku News Commentary

Well, you never know...
Soccer games can turn ugly
(Or so I have heard)

And the spectators
Need their practice just as much
As the players do.

Practicality
Suggests arming yourself for
Attack or defense.

(/snarky sarcasm. Or sarcastic snarkiness. Whichever.)

What I want to know--
Is the gun that she 'strapped on'
The one that killed them?

Murder/suicide
Is not a good solution
For domestic strife.

Particularly
Whenever there are children
To be affected.

cicely
(I'll bet you guessed, hmmm?)