Thursday, April 8, 2010

Poetry Challenge #26: Spring Poem

Well, chickadees, whether the weather in your backyard is indicative of it or not, the calendar claims it is spring, so with that comes my challenge to write a poem in reflection of that fact. Because I am in one of the unfortunate areas that suffers from some season-identity crisis every time the seasons change, my poem will echo that, but yours can be as joyous or not as you desire. As always, this theme-based challenge only has that single requirement, so feel free to use any sort of form or rhyme scheme that tickles your fancy.

Here's my effort:

Walking 'round in my winter coat
one time more than I hoped I would,
it occurred to me that seasons should
change like channels on TV,
not like stations on the radio,
cold static bleeding over into the sweet
melodies of warmer times.

Yet signs of victory abound,
despite defiant wintry gasps:
trees show signs of verdant green
and some bold ones even sport blooms;
the grass is showing signs of life
and flowers have unearthed themselves.

As I gaze on the fledgling leaves
presenting trees in the manner
of Monet, with delicate flecks of emerald
seeming to dance before my eyes,
I glimpse the blue beyond the grey
of clouds threatening rain over my head,
and dream of days not long from now
when warmth will win, the winter dead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trees are greening!
Only my defective knees
Stop me from dancing!

cicely

Minerva said...

Cicely--how did I know your poem would deal with leaves? :) 1,000 points for an excellent depiction of vernal joy!

Mimi said...

In the West spring comes
with 80 degrees on the thermometer.
The oranges are gone, and lemons
hang low on the branches.
Spring bulbs bloomed at Christmas;
flowering trees are dropping blossoms.
There is something to be said
for anticipation of warm weather.
Waiting makes the reality
more exhilarating!

Anonymous said...

Anticipation
Is vastly over-rated!
I want spring's warmth now!

;)

Anonymous said...

Whoops!

cicely

Minerva said...

Mimi--an excellent reminder of the comparative advantages of living in different climates. Having experienced both, I realize that each has its positives and negatives. Thanks for reminding me that this weatherly indecision is actually a way to really appreciate the warmth when it decides to stay. :) 1,000 points for that :)

Anonymous said...

The flowers -*achoo!*-
Are so -*achoo!*- beautiful---
And pollenaceous.

cicely