Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Christmas miracle!

I managed to be amazed by the same phenomenon every year, it seems. I go to make one of my husband's favorite kinds of cookies, and when preparing the dough (which uses no eggs, just a lot of butter, sugar and flour) it always looks like it will never go together. Finally, I remember that the recipe has a note that says "if dry, add 1-2 tablespoons milk." I add one tablespoon of milk, fully expecting to have to add another, but five seconds later the entire bowl is filled with a completely cohesive dough. Amazing.

The other thing that I had nearly forgotten about Christmas was a child's wonder at seeing a Christmas tree. The boy and I were watching the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and I was watching his face when they pressed the button. His eyes got really wide, and then he said, "Woooooooow." Just priceless.

My dear friend and reader of this blog, Kristin, has published a poem in an online poetry journal. You can read her fine work here.

Haiku News

Graduation joy
cut short by a fatal bomb

Amnesiac's brain
is dissected as I write;
you can watch it here.

Real-life "Terminal"
unfolds in Tokyo airport;
Chinese man squats there.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

The first of many wonders there will be this year...seeing Christmas though the boy's wide eyes. He was enthralled with the outside lights on our Thanksgiving walk. :-)