Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas cookies.

Among my favorite things in the world to do is make Christmas cookies. I always have to make a few traditional kinds, but then I always (at least lately) will experiment with a few new ones, as well. But a few readers have requested the recipes for the "traditional" ones I've been making since I married my husband, so I will post the recipes below. If I'm feeling particularly productive later maybe I will post pictures as well.

Bon Bon Cookies
(I usually double this recipe since they go fast in our house)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/8 tsp salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
chocolate chips
*if the mixture is dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix everything but the chocolate chips. Form by teaspoonful into a ball around 2-3 chocolate chips. Bake 12-15 minutes until set but not brown. Cool completely, then dip tops in glaze.

Glaze for bon bons:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
tint with a few drops of food coloring
I like to sprinkle the wet glaze with nonpareils or something tiny to make them fancier.
These are probably my husband's favorite thing ever.

Chocolate Crinkles
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 oz melted unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix sugar, oil, chocolate and vanilla. Mix in eggs, one at a time (I have been breaking them in a separate bowl since a mishap involving fishing lots of eggshell out of the batter!). Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Roll in powdered sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, 10-12 minutes.
These are probably my all-time favorite, despite the dough being sticky as all get out when rolling them!

So there you have it. I was typing this up while the dough for these macadamia nut butter cookies was chilling, but now they are ready to bake so I'd better get going. Enjoy!

No comments: