Friday, May 6, 2011

How Motherhood has changed me.

In honor of Mother's Day in a few days, I thought I'd share something I wrote today when reflecting on a prompt to tell how motherhood had changed me. It ended up resembling a poem, appropriately enough for me.

How motherhood has changed me.

My heart has grown 100% times two.
These days most things I do for myself, I do for love of them.
I run and eat well (mostly) to be healthy for them.
That said, I don’t really care what I look like because I’m beautiful to them.
I show kindness and patience to others as an example for them.
I show them love and gentleness sometimes in spite of them.
I look for moments to file away in my memories daily.
I blog about what seems trivial today so I won’t forget it tomorrow.
I take about a million pictures a month and flood Facebook with them.
I love their father, my husband, more for being a great father to them.
I try to look above the daily grind to focus on what matters for them.
I try my best to always have smiles and hugs ready for them.
I watch shows that sometimes set my teeth on edge for them.
I answer the same questions a hundred times for them.
I get up in the middle of the night, go with little sleep, and clean up body fluids for them.
I take kicks, punches, bites, pinches, scratches and slaps from them.
I only give back pats, kisses, hugs, and sweet words to them.
I would give my life for them, but I hope to see as much of their journey as God will let me.
I am eternally grateful for my blessings here on earth, and the one waiting for me in heaven.
Thank you God for the blessed honor of motherhood. May I prove worthy of being the caretaker of my beautiful children, and may they be a blessing to others as they are to me.

Thanks to my own Mama for being such a great example for me to look up to and now emulate as much as I possibly can. I am eternally grateful for all you have done and continue to do for me and my family.

If anyone else would like to share thoughts about their own moms in the comments, I'd love to see.

2 comments:

lovefam6 said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Sometimes one word really does say it all =)

Minerva said...

Thank you :)