Thursday, October 20, 2011

Why I Write.

I write to figure out what I think about things.

I write to give voice to my fears, then destroy them.

I write to make real my fantasies or wishes I know can't come true.

I write to create other worlds to share.

I write to see what shapes I can twist words into today.

I write to relax my mind.

I write to sharpen my mind.

I write to exorcise my demons.

I write to feed my spirit and nourish my soul.

I write to feel like a grown-up after a day spent with small children.

I write to feel like a child after having to be the parent all day.

I write because if I didn't, I'd probably explode.

I write because I've wanted to be a writer since I knew that was a job.

I write because I want to have something to show my children when they're grown.

I write because I want to have something to show my children while they're young.

I write to remember who I am, who I was, and who I want to be.

Why do YOU write?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write to organise the steps to figure out how to actually do something I've seen so very clearly with my mind's eye.

I write because I've got a moderately bad case of SIWOTI syndrome, and "jealous" and "envious" are not synonyms, and it's "it's" when it's a contraction, not a frickin' possessive, and incidentally, it's not "persay". Or "reign it in". Or "baited breath" (unless, you know, there are actual fish, or worms, or something, involved). The Ptolemies were a Macedonian dynasty that ruled Egypt, and not a native dynasty; and in any case, there's no good reason to suppose that the native Egyptians weren't native to Egypt instead of (just to pick someting completely at random) Atlantean. Or Space Aliens. And the Romans almost certainly didn't make it to the New World. And....
*coughs embarrassedly*

I write because bad haiku has got to go somewhere.

I write because you asked me why I write. :D

cicely

Anonymous said...

(And also to post-insert an "h" into "something".)